Sunday 18 May 2014

Poem: Goodbye Glacier

She mourns over her empty valley. Elliptical tears
flow where her majesty once lay. Antique stills in a forsaken
museum display you proudly. Though today a deep lacuna; we together, step tenderly. If I could I would form you again. Not for me. Unconditionally for you. You need complete alterity, and I know, but although I try, complacency grips me and I cannot begin.



Little children in big padded coats, red woolen hats
and matching gloves, climb your bare bolder face and
the sorrow of your new tree line is their destination. Green
tree, green recession pole, the distance between the recorded
epochs is terrifying. Their laughter is the chorus of your
disappearance; the muted aria of your bygone stream, once
a cool blue rush from your maternal core. I take a seat on
the valley rocks now naked, and they yearn once more for



your vestment. Conceal their shame. Their ghostly dream appears and you are too far to hear their cry.


Bring the procrastinating global sovereign. Float him high to the true regicide; “oh you, neglecters of Kyoto.” Let your disturbing eyes radiate, for fear grips the crown. “Would he know where to put himself?” Your fragility can rupture the pastel heart; those who find it easy to weep. 




You are a beautiful nurturing ecosystem and 
the life-blood of a dependent multitude. 
Glaciers worldwide are entering Elysium, leaving behind the disconsolate.


Do not say, “goodbye” glacier. We refuse to say, “goodbye glacier.” Drowned in your empty valley we realise our way. A little child showed us. A single red glove laying over a small rock. I smile and bend down. “Mister, Mister, that is mine!” I offer it back to the rightful owner. His fingers dance
inside and he races away to where your 
cool blue still sustains.


(For the Fox Glacier, Westland National Park, New Zealand)         

No comments:

Post a Comment